Letterkenny Cultural Corridor (Forming Part of LK Green Connect)
PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT ACT 2000 – SECTION 179
PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS 2001 – ARTICLE 81
NOTICE PURSUANT TO ARTICLE 81 OF PART 8 OF THE ABOVE REGULATIONS (“the Regulations”), RELATING TO A PROPOSED DEVELOPMENT BY DONEGAL COUNTY COUNCIL
LETTERKENNY CULTURAL CORRIDOR
(FORMING PART OF LK GREEN CONNECT)
TAKE NOTICE that Donegal County Council (“the Council”) proposes to carry out the development specified in paragraph (b) below and in relation thereto:-
- The location of the development is on lands shown on a site location map included in the plans and particulars referred to at paragraph (e) below, which is located at Ramelton Road, High Road and John McLaughlin Way and in the areas of An Grianan Theatre, the Regional Cultural Centre, Donegal County Museum, Letterkenny Tennis Club and Letterkenny Boxing Club, Letterkenny in the townland of Letterkenny and in the Letterkenny & Milford Municipal District.
- The nature and extent of the proposed development is as follows:-
Enhancement of existing and construction of new walking, cycling and public realm infrastructure connecting an Grianan Theatre, the Regional Cultural Centre, Donegal County Museum, Letterkenny Tennis Club and Letterkenny Boxing Club inclusive of:
- Removal of existing public realm environment at the forecourt of An Grianan Theatre and construction of a new public realm environment integrated with the forthcoming ‘Eat Out’ Outdoor Dining Infrastructure Project
- Modification to public road L-10042-0 from Ramelton Road to the Regional Cultural Centre to include construction of shared surface scheme and enhanced pedestrian infrastructure.
- Enhancement of existing steps and pathway at the Regional Cultural Centre inclusive of resurfacing/ colour change.
- Enhancements to existing pathway adjoining Letterkenny Boxing Club including resurfacing, reconfiguration of Boxing Club service area/ fenceline, management of trees together with elevational enhancements to Boxing Club building and installation of shared surface at south-west facing gable.
- Enhancements to John McLaughlin Way inclusive of resurfacing, repair of steps, surface water drainage, management of trees and vegetation, painting of gable elevations.
- Construction of new ramped access for emergency/court maintenance/pedestrian access to Letterkenny Tennis Club and installation of signage/public art on Tennis Club building.
- Construction of new combined walking/cycling infrastructure from Letterkenny Courthouse/Regional Cultural Centre to High Road inclusive of ramped and stepped access, and amphitheatre seating.
- Modification to carriageway and footpath infrastructure at High Road to enhance pedestrian accessibility and installation of controlled crossing point, raised table and resurfacing.
- Installation of public art inclusive of Letterkenny 2040 brand logo and historical/heritage and place-related information.
- All associated ancillary works throughout to include enhancements to public lighting, drainage and utilities, connection to services, landscaping, nature-based solutions to rainwater management, wayfinding and development related signage & public art.
All associated ancillary site works shall be located within the townland of Letterkenny in the Letterkenny-Milford Municipal District.
(c) The proposed development is sub-threshold for the purposes of Environmental Impact Assessment (“EIA”) per Article 92 of the Regulations and the Council has concluded on the basis of a Preliminary Examination of the nature, location and size of the proposed development in accordance with Article 120 (1)(b)(i) thereof that there is no real likelihood of significant effects on the environment arising from the proposed development and that Environmental Impact Assessment (“EIA”) is not required. A copy of this Preliminary Examination and conclusion will be available for inspection or purchase along with the documents referred to at paragraph (e) below.
Where however any person considers that the proposed development to be carried out by the Council would be likely to have significant effects on the environment, he or she may at any time before the expiration of 4 weeks beginning of the date of publication of this notice apply under Article 120(3)(b) of the Regulations to An Bord Pleanala (64 Marlborough Street, Rotunda, Dublin 1, D01 V902) for a screening determination as to whether the development would be likely to have such effects.
(d) In order to ascertain whether the proposed development required Appropriate Assessment (“AA”) the Council carried out a screening of same in accordance with Article 250(1) of the Regulations and made a determination in view of best scientific knowledge that the development individually or in combination with other plans or projects would not be likely to have a significant effect on a European site in view of the site’s conservation objectives and that AA was not required. A copy of this determination including the main reasons and considerations on which the determination was based will be available for inspection or purchase along with the documents referred to at paragraph (e) below.
Where however any person considers that the proposed development to be carried out by the Council would be likely to have a significant effect on a European Site, he or she may apply under Article 250(3)(b) of the Regulations to An Bord Pleanala (64 Marlborough Street, Rotunda, Dublin 1, D01 V902) for a determination as to whether the development would be likely to have such significant effect and the Board will make a determination on the matter as soon as possible. Any application for such determination in order to be considered by the Board must state the reasons for the forming of the view that the development would be likely to have a significant effect on a European Site.
(e) Plans and particulars of the proposed development will be available for inspection online at consult.donegal.ie or for inspection at the Council’s offices below and purchase (at a fee not exceeding the reasonable cost of making a copy) at:
The Planning Department, Donegal County Council
Letterkenny Public Services Centre
County House, Lifford, Co. Donegal, F93 Y622
Neil T. Blaney Rd, Letterkenny, Co. Donegal, F92 TNY3
9:00am – 12.30pm and 1.00pm – 4.30pm from Monday to Friday.
The said plans and particulars will be available for inspection as above from Tuesday 26th September 2023 until Tuesday 24th October 2023 (both dates inclusive).
(f) Submissions and observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development is situated may be made in writing to The Co. Secretariat, Donegal County Council, Lifford, County Donegal, before 4:30pm on Thursday 9th November 2023. Please mark the front of the envelope with the project name as per the above schedule.